Thursday, June 2, 2011

[Materialism]


In French, we're reading a book called Le Petit Prince. In this book, there is a character that believes owning many material possessions makes you wealthy. I guess this means that it's not only the U.S. that has turned to materialism. It's almost like a disease. Everyone wants to be cool, and cool means being like celebrities with the mot expensive things. it's all about being tangible. You could be the biggest jerk on the planet, but as long as you have more material possessions then you need, you're cool. I fail to see the point in this. I admit, I want a phone with a full keyboard, because texting on a flip phone is annoying, but I'm used to it. I don't NEED a change, I simply WANT one. The difference between me and other people is I don't go out on random shopping trips. I have all the cloths I need, and I'm not looking for more. Granted, I am in one of the most expensive industries out there: music. My upright bass, electric bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass amp and guitar amp will come to about $10,000, but I also use them all. I play in several orchestras, plus a pit band with both basses, and I write music in my band with both guitars. I'm being productive with all of it, unlike my friend's dad who collects guitars and amps for fun, but can't play them at all. I drive a 1990 Chevy delivery van. I don't have a nice car like an ex band member. All in all, each and every one of us have material possessions we wouldn't want to lose, things we don't need, but some more than others. Sooner or later, U.S. culture is going to completely fall apart thanks to materialism.

No comments:

Post a Comment